Saturday, April 3, 2010

How to NOT represent a buyer's best interests!

Had a call this evening from an agent in Atlanta, asking about one of my listings. Said they had been working with a couple looking for a lake home for six months, yet the questions the agent asked and our conversation made it clear that the agent is completely unfamiliar with the local market. I told the agent that I would be happy to show the buyers any of my listings, and if none of mine worked, would work with them on a referral basis to find the right property, regardless of who had it listed. Agent's response: Wouldn't consider it...been working with them for 6 months, and would continue working with them with no assistance.

We love Agents who actually bring their clients out and go to each home with them. I'll do anything possible to help such an agent within the parameters they wish. My sellers deserve my efforts to work willingly and cheerfully with outside agents. But I can only feel sympathy with this agent's buyers when their agent is more concerned with his/her commission than in helping their buyer.

I know the Atlanta market pretty well, but would never consider representing a client buying property there. I don't know how things have changed since we moved from there to Lake Oconee nine years ago. I don't know the pricing trends in each neighborhood. I don't know where the homes are that are "by owner" or not even listed, but are available nonetheless. I DO, however, know the Lake Oconee and Lake Sinclair markets, and could easily put this agent onto at least two homes that would probably work for them. I even offered to get an authorization to show for one of the propereties that is not on the market, but the agent wanted me to send photos FIRST! Instead, I'll be taking my grandson fishing tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment